Friday 17 December 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones - Kirsten Miller

Have you ever fallen in love at first sight?
Do you long for a place you've never been?
Do you often experience the sensation of déjà vu?

Ever since Haven Moore can remember, she's experienced visions of a previous life as a girl named Constance, whose love for her soulmate Ethan ended in tragedy.

And the sight of the world's hottest movie star, Iain Morrow, brings Haven to her knees. She knows she has met him before. Is Iain her beloved Ethan?

Unable to deny her past any longer, seventeen-year-old Haven flees to New York to find him - and an epic love affair begins. But it is both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Can Haven unlock the deadly secrets hidden in her past lives - and loves - before all is lost and Ethan disappears again...forever?

Eternal Ones Series:
The Eternal Ones
All You Desire (2011)

Visit Kirsten Miller's website for more information

Review:
As a child when Haven had visions of a man called Ethan her Grandmother was convinced that she was possessed by a demon. With even the preacher in agreement the whole town is wary of Haven and she has always been an outsider with only her best friend Beau to rely on.  Then at 17 she sees Iain on TV and her visions begin happening again. She becomes convinced that Iain was Ethan in a previous life and as memories of her life as Constance start coming back to her she becomes determined to go to New York to track Iain down. She remembers being a member of the Ouroboros Society and when she discovers that the organisation still exists she sets off in search of answers.

I was intrigued by the idea of The Eternal Ones and had been looking forward to reading this book for a while but I ended up finding it a frustrating read.  The beginning of the book is quite slow and it seemed to take ages for anything particularly interesting to happen. I was curious about Haven's life in her small minded town but I think this section could have been cut down quite a bit without us missing out on any of the information we were given. Once Haven makes her way to New York the pace picks up quite nicely and I did enjoy the mystery of who was behind the death of Constance.

I didn't really feel a connection with any of the main characters. Although Haven is young and inexperienced I found the way she constantly changed her mind about Iain was frustrating. All of her memories of Ethan are of them being happy and in love but I was glad that she realised that she didn't know the full story and was wary when first meeting Iain. However when they did actually meet she constantly flipped from being madly in love with him to taking the word of total strangers who she had no memory of and becoming frightened of him. Then Iain would tell her he loved her and everything would be OK again - until the someone came along and said something negative about him that is.  This continued throughout much of the book and at times I just wanted to shake her and tell her to walk away from the whole mess.

For the hero of the book Iain just didn't capture my interest, we didn't see enough of him for me to get to know him properly and what we did see didn't give me any reason to trust or even like him. I was suspicious of him throughout the whole book and just didn't feel the attraction between him & Haven. There didn't seem to be any real connection between them and the romance completely missed the mark for me. My favorite character by far was Haven's best friend Beau - the scenes with him made me smile and he stole the book which was a shame considering he wasn't one of the major players in the story.

I have to say I enjoyed learning about the Ouroboros Society and I believe there is more to learn about the organisation and it's members. It was interesting trying to figure out who was involved in the plot to kill Constance and I didn't work out the full story until right near the end of the book. I'm just not sure if I enjoyed the story enough to continue reading the series though.

Source: Received as part of a book tour arranged by UK Book Tours, this book has already been sent on to it's next destination.

Other Reviews:
Asamum Booktopia
If you have reviewed this book on your blog please leave a link to your review in the comments & I'll add the link here.

4 comments:

  1. I reviewed it this week as well. But my review is fan-girl love lol.
    I adore how reading is subjective and the diferent views we have of the same book.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that the hero didn't get your interest. :( I don't know if I will try this book, maybe if it gets translated and I can borrow it at the library. Great review though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard mixed reviews about this one...thanks for your honesty. I'm going to wait for this one to come to my library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Asamum - I just read your review & have included a link to it in mine :o) I'm glad you got on with this one better than I did, I love the fact that we all have different oppinions about the same books, it would be very boring if we all liked the same things!

    @ Nina - I've seen very mixed opinions about this one, some people love it & some like me don't get on with it so well. You should definitely have a look at Asamum's review to check out a more positive opinion of it - you might find you're one of the people that really like this one. I love being able to get books I'm not sure of from the library first so I don't feel like I've wasted money if I don't enjoy the book :o) You'll have to let me know what you think if you do read it

    @ Kelli - Personally I'd recommend waiting until it comes out in the library but Asamum's review might give you a different perspective. I'll be interested to see what you think of it when you do read it though :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails