Wednesday 2 June 2010

Review: No Rest for the Wicked - Kresley Cole

UK Cover
A Vampire soldier weary of life...
Centuries ago, Sebastian Wroth was turned into a vampire - a nightmare in his mind - against his will. Burdened with hatred and alone for ages, he sees little reason to live. Until an exquisite, fey creature comes to kill him, inadvertently saving him instead.

A Valkyrie assassin dispatched to destroy him...
When Kaderin the Cold Hearted lost her two beloved sisters to a vampire attack long ago, a benevolent force deadened her sorrow - accidentally extinguishing all of her emotions. Yet whenever she encounters Sebastian, her feelings - particularly lust - emerge multiplied. For the first time, she's unable to complete a kill.

Competitors in a legendary hunt...
The course will take them through ancient tombs and catacombs, seeking relics around the world, and the prize for victory is powerful enough for Kaderin to change history and prevent her sisters' deaths. Sebastian competes as well, and begins winning - her. But when forced to choose between Sebastian and reuniting her family, how can Kaderin live without either?

Immortals After Dark Series:
The Warlord Wants Forever (Novella in the Playing Easy to Get anthology)
A Hunger Like No Other
No Rest for the Wicked
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
Dark Needs at Night's Edge
Dark Desires After Dusk
Kiss of a Demon King
Untouchable (Published in the Deep Kiss of Winter Anthology)
Pleasure of a Dark Prince
Demon from the Dark
Dreams of a Dark Warrior
Lothaire
Shadow's Claim (The Dacians book 1)
MacRieve
Dark Skye

For more information visit Kresley Cole's website

Review:
Kaderin is a cold hearted Valkyrie who has made her life's work killing vampires ever since loosing her sisters a thousand years ago. Unable to cope with the sorrow of their deaths she prayed to be spared and ever since has felt no emotions - either good or bad. Sebastian was turned into a vampire against his will and has spent over 300 years wishing to die.  When Kaderin is sent to kill Sebastian it should be simple but for the first time ever she finds herself unable to kill a vampire. Sebastian almost immediately recognises Kaderin as his Bride (soul mate) and finds in her a reason to live again. Kaderin on the other hand is horrified to find herself attracted to a vampire - one of her sworn enemies and tries to run away from her feelings.

Taking part in the Hie - a quest for immortals that includes all kinds of difficult tasks - Sebastian wants to win to prove his worth to Kaderin. Kaderin is the champion though & doesn't want anyone's help, having won the last 5 competitions on her own, but this time the prize is something that she is desperate to win - a way to save her sisters - and it looks like she is going to need to work with Sebastian if she wants the prize.

Although I liked A Hunger Like No Other I found I enjoyed No Rest For The Wicked even more. I liked Sebastian immediately and found him a much more lovable hero than Lachlain. Kaderin I found harder to like but she did grow on me as I learnt more about her history and as she began to change with the return of her feelings. I thought the developing relationship between Sebastian & Kaderin was very well done and I loved the passion between them both. I liked the fact that even though Sebastian knew she was his Bride he wasn't immediately confessing undying love for Kaderin but felt they would grow to love each other in time.

I enjoyed the action in the sub plot of the Hie, it added an extra element to the story and made it different from any other paranormal romance book I've read before. As with the first book there is still a large cast of characters but I'm finding it much easier to keep track of who everyone is now now I'm more immersed in the world Kresley Cole has created. Overall I felt that No Rest For The Wicked was a great continuation of the series - one I enjoyed even more than the last book & I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here. I can't wait to start the next book!

Source: Library

Other Reviews:
If you have reviewed this book on your blog please leave a link to your review in the comments & I'll add the link here.

US Cover
Paperback / Kindle:

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you liked No Rest for the Wicked Sarah! I agree with you, I loved this book even better than the 1st (even though I loved that one!), and Sebastian is an amazing hero! Loved how he wooed Kaderin. You are lucky that you have so amny books to catch up on in this series, you are in for a treat! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stella - I LOVED Sebastian, he was so sweet but sexy too! I've definitely added him to my list of book boyfriends LOL :o) I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails