Thursday 15 April 2010

Review: Generation 18 - Keri Arthur

A serial killer is striking every twelve hours and a monster is murdering at random.  Though neither event seems related, Agents Samantha Ryan and shapechanger Gabriel Stern quickly discover a link between the two - the military base known as Hopeworth.  But are the serial killings a military cover-up that has gone dangerously wrong, or is there a deeper, more personal reason behind the murders?

With the killings escalating and the danger drawing closer to home, only one person seems to hold the key to what is going on - as well as what has happened in Sam's past.  But does Sam dare believe this mysterious man's words or the dreams she seems to share with him?  Because this mystery man may not be just her enemy, but the enemy of humankind itself.

Spook Squad Trilogy:
Memory Zero
Generation 18
Penumbra

For more information visit Keri Arthur's website

Review:
While this review won't contain spoilers for Generation 18 it may include things that happened in the first book in the series Memory Zero.  If you're new to the series I'd recommend the books are read in order so you might want to read my review for Memory Zero rather than continue reading here.  I would like to say that I love this series & would definitley recommend it to any fans of urban fantasy.

Generation 18 continues the story a few months after the ending of Memory Zero.  Sam and Gabriel are now partners but Gabriel is still not happy about this & is determined to keep Sam at arms lenght.  So far he has been quite successful at keeping her on the sidelines by keeping her busy with paperwork but things are going to have to change now they are working on this case.  Sam is fed up with being pushed to one side and is determined to get into the thick of things with this investigation - wether Gabriel likes it or not.

With Sam's increasing talents it looks like Gabriel is going to need her help.  She still has no memory of where she came from and it's looking like her memory could hold the key to solving the current spate of serial killings. 

I loved the first book in this series but if anything Generation 18 was even better.  I really like both Sam and Gabriel and they make a great partnership even though Gabriel is trying to push Sam aside to keep her safe.  Sam isn't the type to sit back - she wants to be involved in Gabriel's life and is determined to do whatever it takes to convince him they can work well together.  I'm really enjoying the mystery of Sam's past and the way she is slowly starting to learn more about herself and her abilities and I'm looking forward to seeing how this will continue in the next book.

As I've come to expect from Keri Arthur, the story is action packed from the very beginning and takes you on a roller coaster ride of twists and turns throughout the book.  She is fantastic at building suspense and this makes it almost impossible to put the book down - I think I've read all of her books in just 1 or 2 sittings and Generation 18 was no exception.  Although there is no romance between Sam and Gabriel yet you can feel the chemistry between them and I have high hopes for their relationship developing in Penumbra.  I can definitely recommend both this series and Keri's Nikki and Michael vampire series and I'm keen to get started on her other books. 

Source: Library

Other Reviews:
If you have reviewed this book on your blog please leave a link to your review in the comments & I'll add the link here.

3 comments:

  1. I have the spook squad books but haven't started reading them yet..I love Keri Arthur's books and I'm glad to see that you like this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series at all yet. It sounds good! I'm still way behind on all her books. The only good thing is I can get them as I'm ready to read them because they are out already:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Heather - I'd definitely recommend this series! I have to say that Keri has added herself to my favorite author list & I'm slowly working through all of her books :o) I'm sure you'll enjoy this!

    @ Moonsanity - I've only recently started reading Keri's books & I'm really enjoying the fact that there are so many books already released so I don't have to wait forever for the next installment! I hope you enjoy this series :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails