Saturday 23 January 2010

Review: Beautiful Dead Book 2 - Arizona - Eden Maguire

Not alive.  Not dead.  Somewhere in between lie the Beautiful Dead.

There's been no sign of the Beautiful Dead for weeks.  Darina achingly misses Phoenix all over again.  Surely he will return to help solve the remaining mysteries.

It's been almost a year since Arizona drowned in Hartmann Lake.  Suicide, it would seem.  But something doesn't add up...  Drowning herself in a lake does not sound like strong, confident Arizona: Ellerton High School's high-maintenance drama queen.

Darina must help Arizona the way she helped Jonas.  But invisible wings are beating, the Beautiful Dead are in danger and time is running out...

Beautiful Dead Series:
Jonas
Arizona
Summer
Phoenix

Visit the Beautiful Dead website for more information

Review:
I really enjoyed the second installment in the Beautiful Dead series.  It took a while for the action to get started in book 1 as the author had to explain the world & introduce the characters.  As that has already been done this story was able to jump straight into the thick of things.  I would recommend reading this series in order although as each book concentrates mainly on solving the mystery surrounding one of the Beautiful Dead I suppose you could read them as stand alone books.

This book concentrates on finding out what happened to Arizona.  This is going to be easier said than done though because Arizona doesn't seem to want to help Darina find the answers.  In life she didn't have any close friends & Darina knew practically nothing about her so she has no idea where to start investigating her death.  Even now Arizona is keeping her secrets close to her chest and she uses sarcasm & snappy comments to push Darina away.

As the book develops & we get to learn more about Arizona we find out why she acts the way she does.  It is easy to understand her behavior and Darina's opinion of her is turned around.  The mystery element of the story is good and it keeps you guessing about how Arizona died right until the end.  I also love the way the bad guys in this series really get their comeuppance by the end of each book.

If you liked the first book in this series I'm sure you'll like this one even more & I'm looking forward to reading Summer's story when it comes out. 

Source: Library

Other Reviews:
If you have reviewed this book on your blog please leave a link to your review in the comments & I'll add the link here.

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I absolutely love this cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa, the covers for this series are really beautiful :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it sounds like this book is an improvement on the first. I think I might actually give it a go at some point. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,
    You just replied to my new blog look and said you were looking to change yours..
    E-mail me!!! lovestoread0708(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Becky - I think this was better than the first book, the plot moved along a lot quicker & I liked Arizona & her sarcastic comments LOL. You'll have to let me know what you think of it if you do read it :o)

    @ Trisha - I've emailed you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent read the first book, but looking at the beautiful covers I may even try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds pretty good. I thought there was a lot to like about the first one, so if this is better then that's a win. Arizona was my favourite character from the first book so I think I'll like this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Nina I really enjoyed both books so I hope you like them too :o)

    @ Lauren I really liked Arizona & of course you get to see a lot more of her in this book :o) You get to see a bit more about why she acts the way she does which is good. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds good. I'll have to read the first one first of course. Thanks for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you'll like them Sarah :o) Let me know what you think if you do read them

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails